What are Reasonable Accommodations?
Reasonable accommodations are appropriate adjustments to programs, policies and practices that make aspects of the College experience accessible and provide equal opportunities to Gulf Coast State College students with disabilities. An equal opportunity means a chance to attain the same level of performance or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges as are available to a similarly situated student without disabilities. There is no cost involved in providing reasonable accommodations, including auxiliary aids and services (for example, sign language interpreters, note-taking support, text conversion to alternative accessible formats, etc.). To determine reasonable accommodations, DSS may seek information from appropriate College personnel regarding essential standards for courses, programs, services, activities and facilities. The Coordinator makes the final determinations of reasonable accommodations in collaboration with the student and faculty as warranted. Reasonable accommodations are determined by examining:
Environmental barriers limiting curricular, facility or program access
Whether or not the access to the course, program, service, activity or facility is available without an accommodation
The range of possible accommodations that might remove the barriers
Whether or not essential elements of the course, program, service, activity or facility are altered by the accommodations
NOTE: Reasonable accommodations, disability information, or any information that can be related to an individuals disability is NOT on the student's academic record. Any and all student disability and accommodation information is kept confidential.
ProcedureS for Requesting Reasonable Accommodations
Procedures for requesting accommodations:
- Complete Application and Forms for accommodations and services and meet with a DSS staff member.
- Submit disability documentation.
- Review Semester Accommodation Plan with a DSS staff member.
- Pick-up Confidential Notification Letters and deliver to instructors (student and instructor must sign). Be prepared to discuss academic accommodations with instructor.
- Complete and review Semester Accommodation Plan with a DSS staff member and pick up Confidential Notification Letters each subsequent semester enrolled in courses at Gulf Coast State College.
Please allow at least two weeks for Disability Support Services to review all new requests for accommodations. Provisional accommodations may be allowed; however, they will end after one semester.
NOTE: Gulf Coast State College and Disability Support Services reserve the right to deny requests for services or accommodations while the receipt of appropriate disability documentation is pending.
DSS offers temporary services for students who may have a short term disability such as a broken arm or recent surgery. If you require assistance due to a temporary disability, please contact DSS and make an appointment to meet with a staff member.
Examples of Reasonable Accommodations
Examples of some of the most frequently requested accommodations include:
- Extended time for quizzes and exams
- Distraction-reduced environment for exams
- Note-taking support
- Permission to record lectures
- Classroom materials and textbooks in alternative formats
The College provides accommodations unless they fall under one of the following four categories:
- Fundamental alteration
- Accommodation request is not supported by appropriate documentation
- Undue hardship
- Personal service
Please see the DSS Student Handbook for more detailed information.