CELEBRATING multiple facets of life
Diversity is the result of a commitment to provide an inclusive community of people of varied human characteristics, ideas and world-views and whose interactions both benefit and challenge each other to grow while making the community better.
Gulf Coast State College is dedicated to the promoting awareness, understanding and acceptance of the values of cultural diversity among administrators, faculty, staff and students. The institution is committed to providing an atmosphere that is open and respectful to everyone within the college community.
"We have become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic, different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes." --Jimmy Carter
The College demonstrates its dedication to a rich environment by:
- Providing ongoing diversity and cultural enrichment for administrators, faculty, staff and students
- Recruiting, retaining and graduating students from diverse populations
- Assisting multicultural students in their day-to-day access to resources and ongoing concerns of inclusion within the community college setting
- Promoting positive race and cultural relations
- Providing opportunities for the exchange of equity ideas in the college setting
- Developing continuous outreach effort to serve underrepresented populations
"A college is just a community, a place where sacredness of the person is honored and where diversity is aggressively pursued" --The Carnegie Foundation
The administration, faculty and staff at GCSC are continuously working to promote diversity awareness and knowledge through the implementation of diversity programs, training activities and cultural celebrations. There are a number of diversity initiatives that serve as resources for minority students, while helping to foster a valued understanding of diversity on campus and in society.