Financial Aid for Students enrolled in the Educator Preparation INSTITUTE
- FINANCIAL AID FOR EPI STUDENTS
Fully admitted EPI students may be eligible for federal financial aid, including the Pell Grant and Stafford Loans! (Full EPI admission requires a passing score on the subject area exam or an “eligible” Statement Of Eligibility from the Florida Department of Education.)Applying for federal financial aid starts with submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov. When completing your FAFSA, select Gulf Coast State College (school code 001490) and be sure to answer the following question as indicated:
Question: “30. What degree or certificate will you be working on when you begin the 20XX-20XX school year?”
Answer: “Teaching credential (nondegree program)”
The Financial Aid office will receive your FAFSA around one to two business days after you submit. If further information is necessary then you’ll receive an email in your official GCSC email inbox (…@my.gulfcoast.edu). Requirements will also be posted on your Lighthouse account. Please visit https://www.gulfcoast.edu/tuition-aid/financial-aid/documents-forms/misc/viewing-financial-aid-eligibility-requirements.pdf for information on how to access your financial aid requirements in Lighthouse.
If you are interested in borrowing a federal student loan then please also complete the three steps detailed online at http://www.gulfcoast.edu/tuition-aid/financial-aid/loans in the “Federal Direct Loan Procedures” section.
Some forms of federal financial aid like Direct Loans require students to register for least six credit hours a semester. Don’t hesitate to contact the Financial Aid office in order to discuss your program of study so you can ensure that you meet enrollment requirements each semester.
- OBTAINING A STATEMENT OF STATUS OF ELIGIBILITY (SOE) FROM FLORIDA DEPT. OF EDUCATION
In order to obtain a Statement of Status of Eligibility, you must first apply for teacher certification. You may apply online at http://www.fldoe.org/edcert. On the main menu on this page, under "New Florida Certification," click on "Career Changer or College Graduate a NonEducation Program." Read the site and then click "Begin the Steps to Certification" at the bottom of the page. Complete Step 1. This requires you to:
- complete an application form,
- pay $75.00 for EACH subject for which you are seeking teacher certification,
- send OFFICIAL transcripts to DOE, and
- send copies of any teaching certificates you presently hold (from other states) to
Once completed, you move to STEP 2. A Statement of Status of Eligibility (SOE) is automatically generated and sent to you. You then provide copy to the EPI office. Keep in mind that it could take 6 - 8 weeks for FLDOE to process the application and issue the SOE.
- REGISTERING FOR THE FTCE SUBJECT AREA EXAMAll tests are given through Pearson VUE. You must register online at www.fl.nesinc.com. Remember that approved EPI applicants must communicate their selected subject area for teacher certification to Teresa Salter and receive EPI approval of the subject area prior to registration for the exam.