The Gulf Coast Guarantee
Starting in August 2021, Gulf Coast State College’s Foundation guarantees a $1,400 per year financial aid award to current Bay, Gulf, and Franklin county high school graduates who initially enroll full-time as first-time-in-college degree or certificate-seeking students at Gulf Coast State College in the same calendar year as graduation.
No application required. The Financial Aid Office automatically awards the GC Guarantee to eligible students who’ve applied for admission, but please contact us if you believe that you are eligible and have not been awarded.
- First-time-in-college student who graduated from a service-district secondary institution, home school, or equivalent in 2021 or later.
- Initial GCSC enrollment must be in the same calendar year as graduation (exceptions may be made on a case by case basis for December graduates)
- Enroll in at least 12.0 credit hours per semester
- Only available in fall and spring semesters
- Must be pursuing a GCSC degree or certificate
- Renewal criteria evaluated yearly following the spring semester
- Must earn a cumulative 2.00 GPA or greater
- Must successfully pass (grade of “D” or better) a full-time course load in the academic year funded (24.0 credit hours)
- Those who fail renewal criteria due to special circumstances may appeal
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I apply for the GC Guarantee?You don’t have to. We’ll use the information provided in your application for admissions to
GCSC along with your high school transcript to verify eligibility.
- What if my parents make too much money? Will I still qualify?Yes. The GC Guarantee does not have an income threshold, so your family’s income doesn’t
- Do I have to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?No, your eligibility for the GC Guarantee is not based on the FAFSA. Although, we do highly
encourage students to complete the FAFSA every year, as they may be eligible for additional sources of
- How soon after high school graduation must I attend GCSC to receive the GC Guarantee?You must enroll in the fall semester immediately following graduation.
- How many classes do I have to take to get the GC Guarantee?You must be enrolled in a minimum of 12.0 credit hours (considered full-time) to receive the
- How much does the GC Guarantee pay?$1,400 per year – $700 in the fall and $700 in the spring – which could pay up to 60% of your
tuition & fees depending on how many credit hours you take.
- What if I qualify for other aid like the Pell Grant or Bright Futures, can I receive
the GC Guarantee too?Yes. Although some grants and scholarships only pay if there’s still a balance after all other
sources of aid have been applied, the GC Guarantee is a “first-dollar” program. This means that being
awarded other aid does not impact your eligibility for the GC Guarantee.
- For how many semesters will I receive the GC Guarantee?As long as you continue to enroll in at least 12.0 credit hours and meet the renewal criteria,
you will continue to receive the GC Guarantee until you graduate from Gulf Coast.
- What are the renewal criteria I must meet to keep the GC Guarantee?You must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 and successfully complete (grade of
“D” or better) a full-time course load (24 credit hours) in the academic year funded. Renewal will be
evaluated after each spring semester.
- Will I have to pay this money back?No. The GC Guarantee is not a loan and will not have to be repaid.
- Who can I contact for further questions?Please email FA@GulfCoast.edu.