Surgical Services Program Coordinator
ADVISOR FOR LAST NAME N-ZBrittany Page, AS, CST, CSFA
850.769.1551, ext. 5881
Academic Program SpecialistAlyssa Evans
Visit the Surgical Services WebsiteACCESS THE PROGRAM ROADMAP
Surgical First Assistant, Certificate
Want to Work in an Exciting Fast Paced Operating Room?
Would you like to work in a unique environment?
As a surgical first assistant, you will be in a challenging, fast-paced environment that can change human lives. An emergency can occur at anytime and no two human beings are alike. Everyday is spent exploring the human body, becoming familiar with surgical techniques, procedures and treatments. There is always something new to learn as technology and innovative changes are ongoing
A surgeon mentor provides the training and guidance to perfect your surgical techniques such as tissue manipulation and wound closure. As you progress, you can opt to specialize in a particular field such as General Surgery, Trauma, Open Heart, Orthopedics, Gynecology/Obstetrics, Robotic and/or Neurosurgery.
Surgical First Assistant Certificate Course Requirements
BSC2085L, Anatomy and Physiology I Lab
BSC2086, Anatomy and Physiology II
BSC2086L, Anatomy and Physiology II Lab
HSC1000, Orientation to Perioperative Services
HSC1000L, Orientation to Periop Services Lab
HSC1531, Medical Terminology
Microbiology for Perioperative Services
STS1310L, Surgical Tech & Proc Lab/Clinical
STS1340C, Pharmacology and Anesthesia
STS1940C, Introduction to Surgery Clinical
STS2323, Surgical Procedures I
STS2323L, Surgical Procedures I Lab
STS2324, Surgical Procedures II
STS2324L, Surgical Procedures Simulation Lab II
STS2330C, Principles of Surgical Assisting
STS2335, Advanced Integrated Surgical Sciences
STS2336, Advanced Surgical Procedures for the Surgical Assistant
STS2361, The Art of Teamwork in Surgery
STS2365, Professional Skills for the OR Team
STS2370, Surgical Assisting Clinical
STS2936, Surgical Certification Symposium
STS2944C, Surgical Technologist Clinical I
STS2945C, Surgical Technologist Clinical II
STS2953, Surgical Technologist Portfolio I
STS2954, Surgical Technologist Portfolio II
Choose one: #*STS2366C, Surgical Assistant Professional Skills or #*STS2367, Management in Healthcare
What can you do with a Surgical First Assistant Certificate?
Where do you work?
- Hospitals or ambulatory care centers
- For a surgeon or surgical group
- Join a group of surgical assistants or open your own business working with several surgeons
- Opportunities abound, are you interested in traveling? You can apply for traveling assignments throughout the United States including Alaska and Hawaii.
What do graduates do?
- Prepare operating rooms, arrange equipment, prepare and maintain sterile field, prevent the risk of infection, and assist with surgical operations.
- Anticipate the next step, passing instrument, supplies or equipment thereby facilitating the surgical procedure.
- Work alongside surgeons, making rounds preoperatively and postoperatively, seeing patients in the office, and assisting during the surgical procedure.
- Assisting techniques include the provision of retraction, tissue manipulation, hemostasis, providing assistance with devices, instrumentation, approximation of tissue and suturing wounds.
- Open your own business assisting surgeons in surgery.
You'll acquire the skills you need to be a successful Surgical Assistant in Gulf Coast State College's state-of-the-art labs in the George C. Tapper Health Sciences Building on the Panama City campus.
Gulf Coast State College Surgical Services ProgramHealth Sciences Surgical Services Students.
Are you ready to Get Started?
Apply to GCSC
Visit the Gulf Coast admissions page to learn more about the application process.
Consult the Gulf Coast State College Catalog for specific program and course information.
Apply for Financial Aid & Scholarships
There are many options available to help you pay for college. Find out more about scholarships and financial aid at Gulf Coast State College.
Register for Classes
Check out the class registration dates and plan your schedule today.