850.769.1551 ext 5606
Senior Administrative AssistantVictoria Byrd
850.76931551 ext. 5615
Why Earn a Firefighter Certification?
If you have a strong desire to help others and be part of a growing and diverse profession that helps protect communities from fires and other emergencies, Gulf Coast State College can help prepare you to become a firefighter.
The fire academy within the Division of Public Safety is certified as a training center by the Florida Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. In addition, our program is accredited by the State of Florida’s Department of Insurance, Bureau of Fire Standards and Training, and the Department of Education. Graduates of the firefighter or fire inspection programs are eligible to apply for the Florida State Firefighter examination.
The Firefighter Minimum Standards Program is the beginning level of fire service training. Students receive extensive classroom and practical training in first responder to medical emergencies, hazardous materials, tactics, ropes, entry, support, prevention, extinguishers and other fire-related subjects.
The day program last approximately six months, and classes meet from 8:00am to 5:00pm on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. The night program last approximately eight months, and classes meet from 5:45pm to 9:45 pm on Monday through Thursday. Occasional weekend classes may be required to complete training exercises.
Firefighter Course Requirements
A complete list of courses with descriptions can be found in the Catalog
Firefighter Certification Program Accreditation
The Firefighter Certificate program at Gulf Coast State College is accredited by the State of Florida’s Department of Insurance, Bureau of Fire Standards and Training and the Department of Education.
Earn a Certificate in the Firefighter Program?
To be eligible to apply for the Firefighter Certificate Program
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be a least 18 years of age
- Achieve a 10th grade level on the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT) or CPT. A college degree may be accepted in lieu of the PERT.
- No felony or misdemeanor convictions that could diminish employment opportunities
- You must submit and pay for fingerprinting
- Must be of good moral character
- Must have a medical clearance
Why Choose Gulf Coast State College to Earn Your Firefighter Certificate?
- Gulf Coast State Fire Academy prides ourselves on exceeding the minimum qualifications and training required by the state.
- Gulf Coast State College has established the premier Firefighting Academy to provide career pathways to meet the needs of the fire service community in Florida, nationally and globally.
- The programs we offer prepare all levels of fire service professionals, including the firefighter, fire officer, fire inspector, fire investigator and fire instructor.
- You'll get a great education with one of the lowest tuition rates in the state.
- With small class sizes and professors who care, you'll get the personal attention you deserve.
- More than 90% of our graduates would recommend Gulf Coast State College to others.
Burning BuildingThis high-tech burn building at the North Bay Campus offers students the opportunity to practice entering burning structures.
Are you ready to Get Started?
Apply for Financial Aid & Scholarships
There are many options available to help you pay for college. Find out more about scholarships and financial aid at Gulf Coast State College.