Associate Director, Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Programs
850.769.1551 ext. 5613
Senior Administrative AssistantElizabeth Kelly
Law Enforcement Officer, Certificate
Are You Interested in Helping Others and Making your Community Safe?
Do you get upset when you see others treated unfairly? Do you enjoy righting wrongs and helping others? If any of these are true about you, consider a career as a Law Enforcement Officer and be part of the solution to keeping your community safe and productive. Become the leader you were meant to be with the skills you will learn in the police academy at Gulf Coast State College.
The subjects covered in the academy will keep you interested and engaged. You will learn many subjects, such as firearms, basic first-aid, defensive tactics, constitutional law and many other subjects. You will have to demonstrate proficiency in the high liability areas of firearms, defensive tactics, vehicle operations n and first-aid. Completion of the Law Enforcement Certificate Program can be used towards the completion of the Criminal Justice AS Degree.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed this program and other important information, please visit www.gulfcoast.edu/ge/loef.
Law Enforcement Officer Course Requirements
Criminal Justice Courses
A complete list of courses with descriptions can be found in the Catalog
What can you do with a Law Enforcement Officer Certificate?
What jobs will you find with a Law Enforcement Officer Certificate?
Paralegals and Legal Assistants
Gulf Coast alumni of this program have continued their education at:
Gulf Coast State College
Florida State University
University of Florida
Who is eligible to Apply for the Law Enforcement Officer Certificate Program?
To be eligible to apply to the program, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Not discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
- Be of good moral character and NOT have been convicted of a felony, or any misdemeanor involving lying or perjury
- Complete a physical examination by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant attesting capability of performing essential functions of the officer position
- Submit to and pass background investigation that includes a fingerprint check
- Passing score on the Florida Basic Abilities Test.
Why Choose Gulf Coast State College to Earn Your Law Enforcement Officer Certificate?
- If you haven’t already been to Gulf Coast’s North Bay campus, you should know that we’re located just north of Southport.
- We have state of the art classrooms with the latest in electronic technology. Gulf Coast State College’s law enforcement academy also has five firing ranges, a driving range, and a multipurpose room for defensive tactics.
- Our instructors are among the best in the field. We use active, former and retired law enforcement officers. You will benefit from their years of experience.
Firearms TrainingFirearms training is one of the four high liability subjects which requires a student to demonstrate proficiency.
Are you ready to Get Started?
Apply to GCSC
Visit the Gulf Coast admissions page to learn more about the application process.
Consult the Gulf Coast State College Catalog for specific program and course information.
Contact Daryl White (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive a law enforcement academy application packet.
Apply for Financial Aid & Scholarships
There are many options available to help you pay for college. Find out more about scholarships and financial aid at Gulf Coast State College.