Personal Development Classes
Continuing Education provides a series of classes designed for self-improvement and personal growth. Our Personal Development classes offer flexibility and a variety of class times to choose from. Enhance your career skills and improve your life.
All About Boating SAfely
If you are interested in an exciting, in-depth boating safety course, check out the in classroom (seminar) version of our popular online boating course. This beginner boating class will give you the knowledge needed to obtain a boat license or safety certification in many states. Many boat insurance companies will offer discounts on boating insurance to boaters who successfully complete About Boating Safely. Topics include:
- Introduction to Boating – Types of power boats; sailboats; outboards; paddle boats; houseboats; different uses of boats; various power boating engines; jet drives; family boating basics.
- Boating Law – Boat registration; boating regulation; hull identification number; required boat safety equipment; operating safely and reporting accidents; protecting the marine environment; Federal boat law; state boating laws; personal watercraft requirements.
- Boat Safety Equipment –Personal flotation devices ("life jackets"); fire extinguishers; sound-producing devices; visual-distress signals; dock lines and rope; first aid kit; anchors and anchor lines; other boating safety equipment.
- Safe Boating – Bow riding; alcohol and drug abuse; entering, loading, and trimming a boat; fueling portable and permanent tanks; steering with a tiller and a wheel; docking, undocking and mooring; knots; filing a float plan; checking equipment, fuel, weather and tides; using charts; choosing and using an anchor; safe PWC handling; general water safety.
- Navigation – The U.S. Aids to Navigation system; types of buoys and beacons; navigation rules (sometimes referred to as right-of-way rules); avoiding collisions; sound signals; PWC "tunnel vision."
- Boating Problems – Hypothermia; boating accidents and rescues; man overboard recovery; capsizing; running aground; river hazards; strainers: emergency radio calls; engine problems; equipment failures; carbon monoxide (CO); other boating and PWC problems.
- Trailering, Storing and Protecting Your Boat – Types of trailers; trailer brakes, lights, hitches, tires, and bearings; loading, balancing, and towing a trailer; towing (and backing) a trailer; boat launching and retrieving; boat storage and theft protection; launching, retrieving and storing a PWC.
- Hunting and Fishing, Water-skiing and River Boating – Carrying hunting gear and weapons in a boat; fishing from a boat; water-skiing safety guidelines and hand signals; water-skiing with a PWC; navigating rivers, and other boating tips.
Sat., May 22, 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Student Union East (SUE) Conference Room
Getting Started with 3D Printing
3D PRINTER INCLUDED! Assemble and learn to operate your own 3D Printer. In this class, you will assemble a brand new Creality3D Ender3 3D Printer, then learn basic operation techniques and tips to get you started in 3D printing. The class will cover printer assembly, printer operation, software training, and tips on getting successful builds. At the end of this course, the 3D printer you built and used will be yours to keep.
Sat., March 27, 9:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M.
Advanced Technology Center (ATC) 151
Investing in Florida Real Estate
This course is an introduction to Florida real estate investment for individuals interested in earning supplemental income through real estate. The course will discuss the benefits of real estate investment, how to determine potential return on investment, and how to manage rental properties. By the end of this course, participants will have the tools needed to make sound real estate investment decisions and achieve their financial goals.
Lara Herter, Program Coordinator, Business & Community & Education