850.769.1551 ext 5612
800.311.3685 ext 5612
CJ Training Academy: Corrections Academy
- Be at least 18 years of age before ending date of class for which you are applying.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a high school graduate or have successfully completed the General Education Development (GED).
- Not have been discharged from Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions.
- Be of good moral character and NOT have been convicted of any felony or a misdemeanor involving lying or perjury.
- Undergo a physical examination by a licensed physician attesting capability of performing essential functions of the officer position.
- Submit to and pass a background investigation.
- Pass the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test for Corrections with a score of 72 or higher.
Procedures for Registering for the CJBAT
To register for the CJBAT, you will need to go to this link to register for the CJBAT: www.registerblast.com/gcsc/Exam/List
You will need to follow the directions:
- You MUST bring both your driver’s license AND your social security card with you when you come to test. Failure to have BOTH of these cards with you will result in you not be able to test. No photocopies or pictures of the cards, they must be the actual cards. If you don’t have your social security card, you will have to request one from the social security office and that can take 3-6 weeks for you to get the card in the mail.
- Fees: $39 (non-refundable)
- You MUST pay the day before your scheduled test date. You can pay for it many days before but at least one working day before the test. If you schedule your test on a Monday, then Friday will the last day that you can pay for the CJBAT to test on Monday. If you do not show up for the test, your fee is non-refundable. If you call to reschedule 24 hours prior to your scheduled test date, we will be able to work with you to schedule another testing date.
The test location is Student Union West (SUW) Bldg. 3rd floor of the Panama City Campus.
The address is 5230 W. Hwy. 98, Panama City, FL 32401. There will be a “SIGN IN” computer by the elevator. Please sign in and then go to rooms 311-315 to check in.
Take the Florida Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJ BAT) for Corrections
Complete Application paperwork
- G.C.S.C. Application
- Background check
- Physical examination
- Proof of U.S. citizenship
- Proof of High School diploma or G.E.D.
- DD 214 if prior military
The Correctional Officer Basic Standards (COBS) course is offered in two different locations.
North Bay Campus - the COBS program is offered north of Panama City at the North Bay Campus which is the main training academy facility.
Gulf/Franklin Campus - for residents of Gulf and Franklin counties who may not wish to drive all the way to Panama City, the COBS program is also offered at the Gulf/Franklin Campus in Port St. Joe.